It has been an intense week of househunting. I looked at houses 6 out of 7 days last week and spent tons of time researching. I’ve composed lots of posts in my head so that I could share this search with my friends, but I’m now finally getting it created!
What are we looking for? We prefer:
– At least 1.0 acre of land, not too close to neighbors – 2700sf to 3200sf
– A nice view of the mountains (not hard to get here) – 3+ bedrooms
– West or Northwest sections of the city – 10 years old or less
– Keeping budget ~$500K so that we don’t feel under pressure if we start a business
– Cosmetic updates (fixtures, flooring, countertops, appliances, tiling, landscaping), but not full kitchen remodels
January to March are prime househunting months when snowbirds househunt. A lot of homes are under contract already but the more expensive the house, the more choice there is. Almost every house we’ve seen so far in our desired range has had an issue that makes it less desirable so it sometimes feels like choosing the lesser of the evils–bad layout, too near the road, too small, too far out.
Here are MLS links to a few of the houses for those who have been clamoring for photos and links. Feel free to help us in finding a good one!
- Desert Saguaro – nice but smaller, views not as good, construction next door soon
Desert Saguaro, Our photos of Desert Saguaro
- Bountiful Lane – smaller, nice views, needs updating, strange layout for us
- Lightning Ridge – great house, views, 3+ acres, but far out and acreage not very usable
- Four Barrel Court – Nice house and price but a foreclosure and already under contract
Four Barrel Court
- Linda Vista – really, really liked this next one (roomy 3219sf and a great flow) but the owner just filed bankruptcy so the house will be tied up in the proceedings and may or may not go back on the market at the end
Linda Vista, Our photos of Linda Vista–note that the owners had trashed it upon leaving
- Palo Verde Vista – new ‘spec’ home, on the market for a couple of years, poor layout, so-so view
Palo Verde Vista, Our photos of Palo Verde Vista
- Sunkist – Alex was excited about this one, but they accepted a contract just before we called
- Saddlehorn – liked it somewhat but too much noise from nearby bridge and issues with the stucco
Our photos of Saddlehorn
- Happy Trails – older (1994) and amazing 3.32 acre property w/360 views, needs lots of updating
Happy Trails, Our photos of Happy Trails